Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Few Thoughts On The New Year

It is hard to believe 2008 is here... I can remember as a child thinking that 1996 was what seemed to be forever away... Time does pass quickly.

I have been doing a great deal of research on my family in the past months.... I have found several relatives I did not know of, have found several who fought in the WBTS [War Between the States] on the CSA [Confederate States of America] side... and even found some graves that I was previously unaware of...... Most recently however I had contact with the Tennessee State Archives and found proof of my Great Grandfather Bowling's marriage... This was rather miraculous for me as I was under the impression that the courthouse had burned and all records with it..... Well...now I have all the pieces together to add Grandpa Bowling to my UDC [United Daughters of the Confederacy] Supplemental... with the exception of where and when his wife [Grandma] died... I think this was in Big Creek, WV and I am now on a mission to locate this info.... I have been waiting for the holidays to end as this year in particular had a lot of closings of various businesses and government office... but starting tomorrow I am on task for this one.. it has been nearly 30 years in coming.. and I am a little too excited..... I think however the Internet has been indispensable in this matter as I would never have thought to contact the Tennessee Archives....or to have known to look in WV

My plans for this blog are to have do biographical pages for some of my ancestors as well as to talk of my genealogical research........ One of my two primary hobbies/passions.....

1 comment:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Ahem...gently clearing throat...that would actually be The Late Great Unpleasantness -smile-.
I wish you well with your research; I'm trying to get the materials together for DAR submission.
Oh yes, I know where Mudfork is located; a friend's, now deceased, wife was from Mudfork.
Thanks for visiting Thistle Cove Farm!